The volunteer programme is a one day per week, four-month placement. At the end of the four months volunteers will receive a Certificate in Animal Care (endorsed by East Durham College) or a Certificate of Attendance. This gives volunteers experience handling a wide range of animals and CV building material. Volunteer days are Tuesday, Friday or Saturday for over 18s and Sunday for under 18s, a typical day is 9.15am – 4.45pm with two short beaks and an hour for lunch.
Main Volunteer Roles:
· Feeding and watering the farms livestock and small animals
· Cleaning out the indoor pig pens, chickens and small animals
· Basic health and behaviour checks of sheep, goats, pigs and small animals.
· Provide enrichment activities for the animals
· Conservation activities
· Volunteers may also be asked if they are available to help with large farm events (May Day and Halloween) or Bag Packing events.
Volunteers will be invited to the farm for a Saturday morning induction, here they will receive a tour of the farm and basic training, they can then decide if they wish to enrol on the volunteer programme. Volunteers will then work through a self-check/progression list so that they can identify where they are confident and which activities need more work.
We currently have a waiting list for all our volunteering days, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be ut on the waiting list!